Monday, January 26, 2009

the art of studying human behaviors

Lately I have been observing what I now call "the art of studying human behaviors" and I have quickly discovered that I will spend my life trying to fully understand them and especially how it relates to God, sin, and redemption through Christ. 

So far, I have specifically came to realize:

1. There is always a story and history behind any behavior or (re)action--whether good or bad.
2. Because of that story, we need to offer more grace and less judgment.
3. But in light of that grace, at the appropriate times, we also need to hold each other accountable for our decisions, especially when it affects others.
4. Only God can judge our heart and motives, but it sure is tempting to analyze and wonder with some people.
5. There are some people I will just never, ever completely understand. They are wayyyy too complicated and appear to have little rhyme or reason to thier behaviors.
6. Because of those people, I am inspired to study harder... and there are even times I wish I was a psychology major just so I could satisfy my curiousities.
7. I have become more aware of how easily Satan can distort truth and mislead us [as believers especially].
8. No matter how far someone strays, they always deserve forgiveness, and we should be eager in offering second chances (and third, and fourth...): BUT we should also be wise and discerning enough to not become doormats [or enablers of whatever behavior needs correcting] of those who need professional help and care beyond our abilities.
9. It never ceases to amaze me how rude or blatantly deceptive humans can be--towards perfect strangers--- even professing Christians!
10. But on the flip side, it also never ceases to humble me when those not even professing Christ serve and love more willingly and with more sincere hearts than I feel I ever could.

BONUS OBSERVATION: Since when did politics become a popularity contest? All I have to say is even though I know faith is in believing what we can not see... my expectations will remain low until I see evidence of real change... based on real moral, ethical, and rooted decisions--not on what makes the majority feel good about themselves for the short-term.

I don't know if this serves as any insight to you... it's just been my thoughts and observations recently. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my word.