Friday, August 29, 2008

a pilots wife and things that fly

I'm currently sitting here at 11pm watching a little green plane fly over a blue graphical map of South Carolina on the computer screen.

My husband is in that little green plane right now.

This is the life I chose.

Did I consider carefully the life of a pilot's wife? Is it even something one can really decide and plan for? Is it something I should fear? Something I should embrace?

Every marriage has it's quirks and obstacles.

\\A military wife is bound to have its share of moves and fears and long distance months. A doctor's wife is bound to have long hours, odd shifts, and moments of frustration. A pastor's wife is bound to find it difficult to separate "work" from family. The politician's wife is bound to be scrutinized and picked apart by the public eye. //

All wives must choose what burden they are willing to carry for the sake of their husband. And I don't think any one of them is easier than the other.

I am not saying being a wife is a burden. Hah! I am a veteran of just three weeks now, I know barely nothing about marriage and wifery. It is a cakewalk thus far, but I am not so naive to believe hardship won't meet us soon enough, in many forms, 'til death parts us. I am also not so cynical and pessimistic to believe that God cannot bring us closer through those times. That those times cannot enrich and enliven our souls and our marriage.

But back to what I was saying about burdens:

The burden I refer to is that of a willingness to sacrifice, to "bear with one another", to give of ones self to help and better another. When I chose to marry, I chose not only to live with someone else, and to bring more of another human being into my life... but I also chose to let go of more of me.

My husband is capable. Totally and absolutely. And so am I. But together, as God designed it, we enable each other to do even GREATER than on our own.



"woe to him who has no one to help him back up!"




So the life of a pilot's wife... as you may suggest is sometimes glamorous and oh-so romantic and adventuresome--almost hollywood-like if you take away the jet-lag and sleep deprivation...
But it is sure to be a life filled with gaps-- 3 days, 2 weeks, a month at time... gaps we are separated by great distances... but gaps we choose to fill with thankfulness, appreciation, anticipation, gratitude, and new ways to serve and love the one we've married our very hearts to.

I choose this burden.

gladly.

No comments: