Wednesday, June 4, 2008

my nest.

Jonathan surprised me with putting the deposit down on our new apartment, which I will be moving into at the end of July so it will be ready for us when we return after the honeymoon... I cried when he left me a note with the good news as I was driving to Ohio for the weekend. I will have a home at last. But you know what makes it better? We will have a home at last...  together.

Not to say that having roommates, living alone, living with family, or other families has been terrible. But they were never really home. They were never mine to own and completely enjoy. They were never "what's mine is yours, and yours is mine.", it was more a borrowed or visited place. It was never complete. 
And I've moved, restarted, and hopped from one place to the next so often, I was beginning to feel like a nomad. And I tell you what, living your life out of boxes, small bedrooms, and always having your luggage half-packed is only fun for a short while. Sure, it's adventure to meet so many wonderful people, have all those great experiences that build character, and see exciting new places...

But after the new shiny feeling wears off... you start to go crazy.

You know, being single for 25 years has caused the "nesting" phase to lie dormant inside of me for the most part, yet boiling and trying to claw its way out from time to time... I long to nest. It is so deep inside of me, such an intricate part of me, it's a dream, a desire, a need.

And now, just six weeks away I finally, FINALLY have my chance to shine. I'm going to nest. 

I'm going to nest like no one has ever nested before. And I'm going to love it! I'm going to thrive in it! My nest will be a home that feels like home, not just a place to live. It will be a retreat, a sanctuary, a place to relax, unwind, and live a full, healthy, and godly life in. It will be warm and inviting and open... yet it will be safe, secure, and a soft place to land when the world leaves you tired and torn and beat down.

It may not always be spotless, it may not always be beautiful. But it will be ours, and it will be home.

No comments: