Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Nemo gone wrong

I was going to post a picture of our new little friends, but unfortunately all that I have to share is a sad story.


There once were five little neon tetra fishies...

The littlest one I named Nemo. That was my first mistake.

Nemo decided he wanted to escape just like in the movie--through the filter tube.

Jonathan comes into the bedroom yesterday morning and says, with a solemn expression, "I have some bad news... we lost one of our own today."

Nemo didn't make it. He was found stuck in between the tube and the wall of the tank. Goodbye Nemo. He laid him to rest in our potted plant.

Later, we discovered that Nemo's other friends were trying the same thing. One barely escaped the same fate last night, and we got him out in time. He seemed a little shocked--swimming sideways for a few moments--but still alive. Whew! Almost lost another one!

We covered the top of the tube with a flower from the tank, hoping to keep it from happening again.

This morning, to my horror. I saw no little fishies swimming about happily. None.

One was lodged in the filter tube. One floating at the bottom. One stuck behind a leaf and the wall. 

And one mysteriously nowhere to be found? 

Jonathan's response... "They were all belly-up this morning?"

Yes. Our little fishies are all dead. Five fishies in less than 72 hours.

I warned Jonathan that I haven't had good luck with fish, but wanted to have something to keep me company while he's away on trips. My previous fishies tended to commit suicide by jumping clear out of their bowls. These fishies wanted to be like Nemo. Instead, they're all belly up.

Rest in Peace, little ones.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

we had to get a lid for our tank. we lost several that way. we had many die in a short time and then we had one left for a long time til he finally went too. i think there was some sabotage involved.

Lydia said...

I think it's time to get a new filter tube. Maybe a smaller model...maybe one that isn't so far from the wall...

...just a thought.

I'm half kidding. And half very sorry for your loss.